Being in a technological age we use some form of technology every day. Some we like and some get on our nerves but there must be one that we find addictive or one we think we just cannot function without.
What is Technology?
The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines technology as:-
1. The practical application of knowledge especially in a particular area. A capability given by the practical application of knowledge.
2. A manner of accomplishing a task especially using technical processes, methods, or knowledge
3. the specialized aspects of a particular field of endeavor
What is Science
The Oxford Dictionary states that Science is
1. The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment
2. A systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject
Therefore there is no technology without science and technology science would be meaningless. Science and Technology are joined at the hips like Siamese twins.
|photo by ciron810 on Flickr [CC-BY-2.0]|
Technology is always advancing through science. Without the past there would be no present or future. With the initial inventions of people like Alexander Graham Bell who invented the telephone we would not have the cell phone today.
Without wireless telegraphy many of the technologies we are accustomed to today would not have been possible.
Ancient travelers moved around on foot before they decided to let the jack-ass or other animals carry them around, then came the horse drawn buggy/carriage. Letters and notes were sent via doves and other birds. Other forms of communication were the messenger who either rode a horse or ran from district to district to ensure the passing of the message.
Lovers had to waits weeks, even months to get letters from their betrothed. Sometimes their beaus even died in battle before the letter would arrive and it would take another lengthy period before the unsuspecting fiance would know her husband to be had died in the battle.
Entertainment was in the form of minstrels who sang stories for the townsfolk. Sometimes these songs were messages in themselves. The town elite would put on plays for the entertainment of the towns people.
With each new invention or discovery in science the people would think the times were modern and their lives made simpler with their new found technology.
Think about how people felt when fire was discovered, wood fires to keep warm and give light, then came the torches which were used indoors and out and were even mobile. Along came oil and lamps were now used, the invention of candles were next and electricity followed.
With each generation life was made simpler…….but is life now being complicated with our new found discoveries and inventions?
Current, Present or Modern Technology
What did man do do before the blender was invented? Grains were ground between two stones and then came the huge mortar and pestle. Now our lives are made easier with such inventions as the juice extractor and the food processor.
Our lives are filled with technological advancements that we sometimes take for granted. Are our lives made simpler with all these gadgets and services?
- As I recall when I was younger without a cell phone, I was never disturbed during my sleep with an unnecessary call. On the other hand, I can reach my fiance’ and mother within minutes on the cell phone. I don’t have to worry about my fiance’ “dying in battle” before I know what’s going on.
- Before I got a washer, my clothes were washed with my hand but they never had fur and lint the way they now do. My clothes never shrunk in the natural sun when drying, now they do in the dryer. When it rains my clothes can still get a good washing and drying with my machines.
- I am developing carpal tunnel syndrome because of the repeated use of the computer not to mention that I never had astigmatism before the computer. Maybe something else would have brought on these conditions but for now the computer is to be blamed for my malaise. Well maybe malaise is a strong word because what I do have are conditions and not diseases..but I’m just saying.
How about technology that actually saves lives
- Air purifiers help hospitals and households to keep out harmful dust particles and bacteria thus reducing conditions such as bronchitis, asthma and other airborne diseases and conditions.
- A seismograph can detect the beginning of a earthquake through waves the instrument pick up from movement under the earth’s crust.
- DNA:. Probably the most important advancement in science. Is this technology? Remember that technology is the practical application of knowledge in a given area. DNA is the discovery that has placed many criminals behind bars and also freed many innocents. DNA has given fathers to otherwise fatherless kids. DNA saves lives.
Talk about spaced out!
Being able to travel to outer space is not quite new but as Patty Inglish stated in her article about the DARPA, the US military plans to revive the work already done in this area. A grant of some half million dollars is to be injected in the project. Research on life on Mars and sustainable life there is to be undertaken. This is modern technology and science.
Ever wonder what your vacuum cleaner or your computer will look like within the next ten, twenty or even fifty years?
Take a look at the photo to find out what’s happening for future technology.That’s what your cell phone will look like really really soon.
The idea behind technological advancements are making the technology more Eco friendly, easier to use, less physical exertion during use, less brain power to use.
Based on observation, ergonomic is the future.
According to the International Ergonomics Association, ergonomics is defined as (quoted) “the scientific discipline concerned with the understanding of interactions among humans and other elements of a system, and the profession that applies theory, principles, data and methods to design in order to optimize human well-being and overall system performance”
The Merriam Webster says :- “an applied science concerned with designing and arranging things people use so that the people and things interact most efficiently and safely —called also biotechnology, human engineering, human factors”
Simply stating, technology is being design to interact directly with the needs of the human user. Technology will therefore will conform to the human desire.
Sci-fi fiction of the past had spaceships with panels where a spoken word would get you a meal, or you speak to the shower and you were clean, or you asked for a change of clothes and viola there it was.
Maybe you won’t speak and your meal appear any time soon but advancement shows that modern technology is not far off. Technology does exist with speech recognition. You can now speak dial a number on your cell phone.
The future is definitely bright for those seeking the easy life. Glass technology is in the making as we speak. This is a technology where the glass or mirror is designed to make your life easier by letting you know when it’s morning, or if your are late for work, you can even check the traffic before you head out to know which route is best. You bathroom mirror will be able to tell you if you have a dental problem too! Whoa…that’s scary..I sometimes forget to floss…geez!
Please follow and like us: